ArcGIS software covers a wide range of sophisticated GIS (Geographic Information System) tools. It can be used in desktop, server, web and mobile environments.
CSC organizes ArcGIS software consortium for Finnish universities and universities of applied sciences. The members of current consortium are listed at the end of this page.
To the members of ArcGIS software consortium these products are available (for details see the license agreement Appendix A):
- ArcGIS Online
- ArcGIS Pro and Desktop.
- ArcGIS Enterprise
- Esri CityEngine
- ArcGIS Monitor
- ArcGIS Hub Premium
- ArcGIS Developer Subscription
- ArcGIS Premium Apps
- Virtual Campus courses
- Finnish road and street dataset by Esri Finland. It is meant for routing and geocoding. This dataset is based on Digiroad, but includes several corrections and enhancements.
ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro
All old ArcGIS Desktop users are encouraged to move to ArcGIS Pro, because active development of ArcGIS Desktop has stopped.
- Installation guidelines for ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop.
- For the installation you need installation package, ask your University's ArcGIS contact person. ArcGIS Pro installation package can also be downloaded from ArcGIS Online.
- Please install also necessary patches and service packs.
ArcGIS products need to be authorized. Licensing options for consortium members:
- Named users, main option for ArcGIS Pro, not available for ArcGIS desktop. The user must have home university's ArcGIS Online account with personal ArcGIS Pro license. Ask this from your home university ArcGIS Online administrator.
- Concurrent licenses from CSC license server, main option ArcGIS for Desktop, but also available for ArcGIS Pro. Ask your home university's ArcGIS contact person for address of the license server and the port numbers to be opened. Help: ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop.
- Single use licenses, for ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop, only for university personnel. Single Use license does not need internet connection, so useful for example during field work. Single Use licenses are always valid until end of the calendar year. Single Use licenses are available from University's contact persons.
CSC license server is available only from FUNET (Finnish Universities) network. When working outside the FUNET network, for example at home, you should first connect to your university network (VPN).
Borrowing concurrent licenses
ArcGIS Educational site license includes also possibility to borrow licenses for 100 days. With a borrowed license it is possible to work without Internet connection or outside of FUNET network.
- Always borrow the base product ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro, only Advanced level is available.
- All extensions need to be borrowed separately, you are free to choose which ones you need. Especially with ArcGIS Pro make sure you borrow all the extensions you need. It is not possible to add extensions to already borrowed base product.
- Licenses borrowed at the end of year are always returned on 31th of December, because annual license renewal.
- Returning borrowed license does not work with ArcGIS Pro. License is automatically returned at the last day of borrow.
ArcGIS Server, ArcPad
These do not use license server, they need registration code for installation, these are available from University's contact persons.
ArcGIS Online is a platform for making and sharing maps, applications and spatial data. ArcGIS Online is available for consortium members - each university may have up to 5000 users and use 50 000 ArcGIS Online -credits per year. For joining ArcGIS Online ask your University's ArcGIS contact person.
Guidelines for the ArcGIS Online administrators:
Virtual Campus includes a wide selection of Internet courses about GIS, the focus is on ESRI tools and technology. A lot of Virtual Campus courses are free, in addition consortium members have access to all courses of types Web Course or Training seminar.
For participating in a Virtual Campus course you need an ESRI Global Account. For courses with a fee, you also need to be added to consortium's ArcGIS accont, ask for it from CSC.
Performance tips for ArcGIS desktop software
- ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro both have several functions that can run in parallel and especially in ArcGIS Pro the situation is improving constantly, so check the online documentation for up-to-date situation with specific tools. For activating the parallel processing set Parallel processing factor in your environment settings or used tool's setting correctly.
- For best performance with ArcMap enable 64-bit-background Geoprocessing.
- Using the
memory / in_memoryworkspace instead of using geometry objects is faster, but if you need memory also for calculation and have a big dataset loaded, there might not be enough memory available. Help: ArcGIS Pro / ArcGIS desktop.
- Use ArcPy scripts where the parallelization is added with Python, for example Multiprocessing or Parallel packages.
- Arcpy multiprocessing examples
- Parallel Python: Multiprocessing With ArcPy, examples
- Blog: Using Arcpy with multiprocessing
- Example: Producing Building Shadows
ArcGIS in CSC's computing environment
- ArcGIS desktop tools ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap support only Windows operating system, which makes installing them impossible in CSC's Puhti supercomputer and very difficult in cPouta cloud, because of limited support of Windows in cPouta.
- ESRI provides a wide range of server products for big scale spatial data analysis. These ArcGIS server products usually support Linux operating system can in principle be installed to cPouta cloud.
- Puhti has ArcGIS Python API in geoconda module, that can be used also for data analysis. ArcGIS Python API has Apache 2.0 license.
- For running ArcPy scripts in CSC computing environment, the best option is to install ArcGIS Server with ArcPy to cPouta. ArcGIS Server ArcPy might be slightly different than ArcGIS desktop ArcPy. The installation instructions can be found from GitHub.
- Each university has its own ArcGIS contact person, for students and personnel she/he is the first point of contact.
- CSC, GIS-coordinator: email@example.com
- The technical contact person of the consortium member university has the right to contact Esri-helpdesk in technical questions.
|Aalto university||Pekka Karppinen|
|University of Helsinki||helpdesk at helsinki.fi|
|University of Jyväskylä||Juha Alioravainen, Anssi Lensu|
|Karelia AMK||Antti Lajunen|
|Lapin AMK||lisenssit at lapinamk.fi|
|Laurea AMK||servicedesk at laurea.fi|
|Kaakkois-Suomen AMK||Esa Hannus|
|Novia AMK||Stefan Heinänen|
|University of Oulu||Lauri Aho|
|TUT, Tampere AMK||it-helpdesk at tuni.fi|
|University of Turku||Leena Laurila|
|Åbo Akademi||Mårten Hedman|
- ArcGIS help
- GIS-analyysimenetelmät ArcGIS 10.2.1 -ohjelmistolla (Harri Antikainen, Heidi Määttä-Juntunen, Joonas Ujanen, Oulun yliopisto)
[Additional information and data download]:
Last edited Fri Apr 9 2021