ArcGIS software covers a very wide range of sophisticated GIS (Geographic Information System) tools. It can be used in desktop, server, web and mobile environments.
CSC organizes ArcGIS software consortium for Finnish universities and universities of applied sciences. The members of current consortium are listed at the end of this page. If interested in joining a consortium, please contact CSC.
To the members of ArcGIS software consortium the following ArcGIS Educational license is available:
- ArcGIS Online:
ArcGIS Desktop and Pro (Advanced, Standard, Basic) and its extensions:
- 3D Analyst, Data Interoperability, Data Reviewer, Geostatistical Analyst, Network Analyst, Spatial Analyst, Workflow Manager, Image Analyst, Publisher, Aviation: Airports, Defense Mapping, Maritime: Charting, Production Mapping, LocateXT, Maritime: Bathymetry, Roads and Highways
- ArcGIS Enterprise Advanced, including the following extensions: Advanced and its extensions: 3D Analyst, Data Interoperability, Data Reviewer, GeoEvent Processor, Geostatistical Analyst, Image, Network, Roads and Highways, Spatial Analyst, Workflow Manager.
- ArcGIS Image Server, ArcGIS GeoEvent Server, ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server, ArcGIS Notebook Server Advanced
- ArcGIS Enterprise—Viewer User Type Licenses and GIS Professional Advanced User Type Licenses
- ArcGIS Monitor
- ArcGIS Hub Premium
- ArcGIS Developer Subscription
Virtual Campus courses
ArcGIS Premium Apps: ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App, ArcGIS Business Analyst Mobile App, ArcGIS Community Analyst, GeoPlanner for ArcGIS (for use with ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise), Insights for ArcGIS in ArcGIS Online, Insights for ArcGIS in ArcGIS Enterprise, Esri Redistricting (for use with ArcGIS Online), ArcGIS Excalibur (for use with ArcGIS Enterprise), ArcGIS Urban, ArcGIS QuickCapture (for use with ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise)
Finnish road and street dataset by Esri Finland. It is meant for using with ArcGIS Desktop or Pro, and enables routing and geocoding. This dataset is based on Digiroad, but includes several corrections and enhancements. Additional information and data download.
All software products are available for unlimited number of users for educational and academic use.
ArcGIS in CSC's computing environment
ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro are not istalled to CSC supercomputers, because these are available only for Windows. ArcGIS Python API is available in Puhti. ArcGIS Server could be installed to cPouta. Some hints for using ArcGIS for heavy computing can be found here.
ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Pro (Advanced, Standard, Basic)
- For installation you need installation package for the product you want to install, ask your University's ArcGIS contact person if needed.
- Installation guidelines for ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop are available in Finnish and English from Esri Finland homepage.
- Licensing options for consortium members (more details below):
- Named users, only for ArcGIS Pro and GeoPlanner.
- Concurrent licenses from CSC license server, for ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop.
- Single use licenses, for ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop, only for personnel.
- Please install also necessary patches and service packs: Patches and Service Packs for ArcGIS Desktop
Named User licenses
ArcGIS Pro's primary licensing model in "named users", which is administred in home university's ArcGIS Online, ask you university's contact person for the license:
- Become a member of home university's ArcGIS Online. See guidelines below under ArcGIS Online.
- Ask for personal license from your university ArcGIS Online
-Guideline for the ArcGIS Online administrator: Guidelines for granting ArcGIS licenses in ArcGIS Online.
- Install ArcGIS Pro, after installation log in with your personal ArcGIS Online account.
ArcGIS for Desktop users normally use concurrent licenses from CSC license server, but there also ArcGIS Pro licenses available. Ask your University's ArcGIS contact person for address of the license server and the port numbers to be opened.
-Guideline for using concurrent licenses from ArcGIS Pro
- Attention! License server is available only from FUNET (Finnish Universities) network. When working outside the FUNET network, for example at home or field trip, you should first connect to your university network (VPN). Or you may borrow the license in advance or use Single Use licenses.
Borrowing concurrent licenses
ArcGIS Educational site license includes also possibility to borrow licenses for 100 days. With a borrowed license it is possible to work without Internet connection or outside of FUNET network.
- Always borrow the base product ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro, only Advanced level is available.
- All extensions need to be borrowed separately, you are free to choose which ones you need. Especially with ArcGIS Pro make sure you borrow all the extensions you need. It is not possible to add extensions to already borrowed base product.
- Returning of licenses does not work. If returning of licenses does not work, the license is returned automatically after 100 days.
- In 2018 it has been noticed in some cases that starting ArcMap with a borrowed license is slow (2-4 min), but eventually it will start. Start up is faster, if the computer does not have any Internet connection.
- Licenses borrowed at the end of year and during first weeks of January are also always returned on 30th of January, because annual license renewal.
Single Use licenses
Single Use licenses are available for university's personnel. These are especially suitable for people working from distance. Single Use licenses are always valid until January next year. Single Use licenses are available from University's contact persons.
ArcGIS Server, ArcPad, Esri Developer Subscription
These do not use license server, they need registration code for installation, these are available from University's contact persons.
ArcGIS Online is a platform for making and sharing maps, applications and spatial data. This ESRI guideline helps you search data from ArcGIS Online. Example videos about using ArcGIS Online from ESRI.
ArcGIS Online is available for consortium members - each university may have up to 5000 users and use 500 000 ArcGIS Online -credits per year. The use of credits is described here.
For joining ArcGIS Online ask your University's ArcGIS contact person.
- Guideline for the ArcGIS Online administrator: Invite and add members
Virtual Campus includes a wide selection of Internet courses about GIS, the focus is on ESRI tools and technology. A lot of Virtual Campus courses are free, in addition consortium members have access to all courses of types Web Course or Training seminar.
For participating in a Virtual Campus course you need an ESRI Global Account, if needed you can create it yourself here. For courses with a fee, you also need to be added to consortium's ArcGIS accont, ask for it from CSC.
- Each university has its own ArcGIS contact person, for students and personnel she/he is the first point of contact.
- CSC, GIS-coordinator: email@example.com
- The technical contact person of the consortium member university has the right to contact Esri-helpdesk in technical questions.
|Aalto university||Pekka Karppinen|
|University of Helsinki||helpdesk at helsinki.fi|
|University of Jyväskylä||Juha Alioravainen, Anssi Lensu|
|Karelia AMK||Antti Lajunen|
|Lapin AMK||lisenssit at lapinamk.fi|
|Laurea AMK||servicedesk at laurea.fi|
|Kaakkois-Suomen AMK||Esa Hannus|
|Novia AMK||Stefan Heinänen|
|University of Oulu||Lauri Aho|
|TUT, Tampere AMK||it-helpdesk at tuni.fi|
|University of Turku||Leena Laurila|
|Åbo Akademi||Mats Lipkin|
- ArcGIS help
- GIS-analyysimenetelmät ArcGIS 10.2.1 -ohjelmistolla (Harri Antikainen, Heidi Määttä-Juntunen, Joonas Ujanen, Oulun yliopisto)