How to create new user account
There are three different types of CSC user accounts: ordinary accounts for general use (which you can get with or without Haka or Virtu), student accounts for courses, and machine-to-machine robot accounts for managing services.
Getting an account with Haka or Virtu
If your home organization is a member of the Haka or Virtu federation, you can create an account yourself.
- Go to MyCSC.
- Click Log in or Getting started.
- Click Virtu or Haka depending on which federation your home organization is a member of.
- Select your home organization and log in to their identity service.
- Fill in your information on the Sign up page.
- Set your password using 12 characters or more, containing both upper and lowercase letters and at least one number. No special characters are allowed.
- You will receive your CSC user account information via email.
Getting an account without Haka or Virtu
The preferred registration method is to log in using Haka or Virtu. If they are not available, an alternative method is to mail the following information to email@example.com.
This mostly applies to foreign collaborators of Finland-based research groups, but basically anybody who has a project to join can register this way.
The application should include:
- Project identifier (e.g. 2001679, uef4713)
- Collaborator's name, organization and email address
- Period of time for which the right for use is applied
If you cannot use Haka or Virtu, and do not have a project to join, you can get an account if your home organization has a contract with CSC or you have been granted resources in a program. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide details about your use case, and we will check your eligibility.
Getting student accounts for courses
If you are a teacher and you wish to have course accounts for your students, please send the following information to email@example.com. You must be a registered CSC user before course accounts can be created.
- Start and end date of the course
- Username of the teacher (responsible for the accounts)
- Teacher's mobile number (to which the passwords are sent via SMS)
- The number of accounts needed
You will receive the accounts' information via email and SMS.
Student accounts are only valid during the course. Please request the accounts in advance, at least one week before the course begins.
Getting a machine-to-machine robot account
If you are a registered CSC user and need another account for managing services that you run in the CSC services, we can create a machine-to-machine robot account for you. Send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Project identifier (e.g. 2001679, uef4713) of the project your service uses
- The CSC service your service uses (e.g. cPouta, Rahti)
- Your mobile number (to which the password are sent via SMS)
Expiration of user accounts
If you have been granted an account for a fixed period, the account expires when the period ends. Accounts created with Haka or Virtu do not have an end date, and they remain valid as long as the account's password is changed once a year.
All accounts are immediately terminated if their owner is not reachable, i.e. emails bounce back.
If you want to terminate your account, simply skip the annual password change. The account will be terminated one month after the password has expired. If you want to terminate your account more quickly, contact email@example.com