Skip to content

Applying for billing units

Billing Units (BUs) are used to allocate resources to users' projects. You can apply for Billing Units in MyCSC portal and CSC grants BUs to projects. Usage consumes billing units but no actual payment is required. However, the amount of billing units must always remain positive.

Submit a resource application:

  1. Login to MyCSC.
  2. Choose Projects in the navigation menu on the left.
  3. Choose a project.
  4. Under Resource Applications, click Apply for Resources.
  5. Fill in the application and click Apply.
  6. A link to the submitted application shows up under Resource applications, where you can view its details and status. You and your project manager will also receive email notifications about the submission.
  7. When the application has been processed, you will receive another email to inform how many billing units have been granted.


Academic projects are requested to fill in the science area, publications, etc. If those are irrelevant for your work, your project type should probably be Commercial.

All members of a project can submit billing unit applications.

Billing unit applications cannot be edited after submission, but you can ask us to reject them, after which you can submit another application. Our email address is

Last update: February 22, 2023